Vision and Mission:
The center of Excellence for Advanced Engineering Materials is an initiative of Ministry of Higher Education being established at the Department of Materials Science & Engineering, Sharif University of Technology, Tehran, Iran. The center aims to promote international excellence in materials science and engineering through research and educational programs. It emphasizes fundamental science and engineering issues that benefit the society and the global community. ECEAM tends to explore all aspects of fabrications, properties and methodologies of Engineering & Advanced Materials. Additionally, the center will be probing the scientific basis of designing smart and novel materials, as well as the techniques for the production of these kinds of materials.
There are many specific areas of scientific and engineering work at the ECEAM. Based on these abilities, the objectives of the ECEAM are:
1- Facilitating the collaboration of faculties, engineers and researchers in the fields of engineering, working in interdisciplinary teams to define and solve complex technical problems in the fabrication, production and properties control in the field of Engineering & Advanced Materials.
2- Responding to the demands of industry, government and universities for a greater intellectual exchange, and technology transfer as well as more highly trained human resource base, to enhance the ability of the country.
3- Bringing funds for materials engineering research dedicated to the growth, characterization, and fabrication of smart and novel materials and devices for high power, high strength, and high temperature applications.
4- Providing sustainable support and funds which are critical to the long-term institutionalization of the ECEAM’s, working with and attracting industrial collaboration through provision of advanced technological support and development services related to engineering materials.
5- Establishing and equipping the center laboratories with the instrumentation and apparatus designed to facilitate the ECEAM’s objective.
Division of the ECEAM
• Smart Materials Division (compositions, fabrication, properties and applications of Metallic, polymeric, Ceramics and composite Smart Materials )
• Super Alloys Division (compositions, fabrication, properties and applications )
The organization of center administration consists of:
- Director (the Chief Executive Officer CEO of the Center)
- Board of Directors & Scientific Committee (The board of directors BOD is headed by the chairman. This Committee is also composed of representatives from the sponsoring companies, and some governmental agencies. Technical subcommittees in support of the Committee may also be established to promote technical interchange between the sponsors and the centers’ projects as well as providing a more in-depth forum for discussion of specific projects.
As a result of the highly competitive and dynamic nature of materials technology, the clear need to create a balanced infrastructure for materials science, engineering, technology and human resources development, and the potentially immense return on investment, it appears to be the exact time for the nation to establish a significant R&D initiative to support Center of Excellence for Research in Engineering Materials (ECEAM). The promises of ECEAM can best be realized through long- term and balanced investment in four R&D categories in particular, as described below:
Synthesis and processing:
The main purpose behind projects of this kind is to enable the control of materials and develop engineering tools to provide the means to assemble and utilize tailored building blocks for new processes and devices in a wide variety of applications. This field also aims to extend the traditional approaches to patterning and micro fabrication to include parallel processing with proximal probes, self assembling, stamping, and templating.
Characterization and manipulation:
In this area, new experimental tools are discoveredand developed in order to broaden the capability to measure and control materials, including developing new standards of measurement. Particular attention is also paid to tools capable of measuring/manipulating single macro- and supra-molecules of biological interest.
Modeling and simulation:
The main objective of this category is to accelerate the application of novel concepts and high-performance computation to the prediction of materials properties, phenomena, and processes.
Device and system concepts:
And finally, research of this kind are mainly aimed at stimulating the innovative application of materials properties in ways that might be exploited in new technologies
The center will seek to maximize the impact of its research and to satisfy the missions of the ECEAM and the goals of the Higher Education Ministry via interactions with industry.
One of the main objectives of the ECEAM program is to enhance the transfer of technology and to have the know-how ability that can be attained by support. Moreover, it aims to promote the ECEAM’s interdisciplinary research activities and accomplishments along with positively impacting the community's orientation to science and technology as well as initiating a systematic approach to stimulating intellectual exchange, technology transfer, and collaboration.
Meetings and Symposia
The Center will sponsor and organize scientific meetings on a regular basis. The meetings will be organized by Center investigators and take one of two following formats.
- The Center will sponsor and organize symposia constituting one-day meetings that address topics of industrial interest.
- The Center will sponsor and organize meetings in other formats, locally referred to as workshops, which run from one to several days and address substantial scientific issues in materials-related fields.
• Electronic, Magnetic and Optical Materials
• Thin & Thick Films and Coatings
• Nanostructured Materials
• Ceramic Synthesis, Processing & Characterization
• Corrosion of Materials
• Mechnical properties of Materials and Reliability Analysis
• Polymer Synthesis, Processing, Characterization, Performance and Aging
• Welding and Brazing
• Materials Characterization (SEM, HRTEM, XRD, STA, FTIR)
We believe that a strong future will be based on:
• Sustaining and advancing technical excellence , outstanding people and technical capabilities
• Diversifying the materials program
• Strong customer base